I am thrilled to be awarded the Minnesota School Board Associations’ “Legislators of the Year” for 2015. MSBA selected me for the award in part due to my extensive work to make sure all schools in Minnesota are equitably funded. It is an honor to be recognized.
I’d really like to thank MSBA for being such a great partner over the last year. As a former school board member I know where they are coming from and I respect their hard work and efforts to improve public schools across the state. Bringing equity to school funding is an ongoing issue which I remain committed to working on as a senator representing the largest school district in the state of Minnesota.
The award recognizes legislators for their work at the Capitol on the behalf of Minnesota’s public school students and for ensuring local school board members’ voices were heard.
MSBA selected me for the award for the following contributions:
- Commitment to the school boards and students in their community and statewide.
- Responsiveness to the voice of school board members by introducing an MSBA-crafted bill to adequately and equitably fund public schools.
- Understanding the value of funding the per pupil formula which provides flexibility for school districts to determine their local needs and do the business of managing the school district.
- Funding of the formula allows the school boards to fund their highest priorities.
- Respecting and seeking out the school board perspective with ongoing communication and inquiry with MSBA on many issues throughout the legislative process.